July 18, 2015 Meeting Minutes

Present: Alicia Miller, Elaine Gladhill, Ken Brown, John Gorman, Joe Mackley, Steve Patterson, Lee Royer, Ted Alexander, and Darwin Seiler.

Staff: John Miller and Mike Christopher

Dedication of cannon with F& M Trust, and presentation of Burning of Chambersburg Painting were conducted prior to meeting. Alicia Miller called the meeting to order at 7:00 pm

Meeting Minutes

 The Minutes of the june meeting were approved on a John Gorman/Lee Royer motion. Vote was unanimous.

Treasurers Report

 Charlie Strausbaugh presented the Treasurers Report. The report was approved on a Ken Brown/Joe Mackley motion. Vote was unanimous.

 Charlie Strausbaugh volunteered to donate his tax preparation expenses. Tax Form 990 was reviewed.

Events

 Darwin Seiler provided a recap of the Mason-Dixon AT Outdoor Festival, stating that it was a steady flow of people throughout the day.

 John Miller gave a recap of the 152nd Anniversary of the Battle of Monterey Pass, stating that the turnout was poor. Ted Alexander volunteered to check on the cost of placing ads in nationally known Civil War publications, in effort to increase attendance.

 July 18 PCN Documentary Filming – John Miller discussed filming of documentary that he will participate in.

 July 18 Blue Ridge Summit Ice Cream Social – John Gorman will be manning the display at this event.

 July 18 Burning of Chambersburg – Alicia and John Miller will be participating in effort to advertise Monterey Pass.

 July 25 Guided Tour of Monterey through Gettysburg Buffs – John Miller will be leading private tour which will hopefully gain some interest and donations.

 July 2016 Preservation March – John Miller briefly discussed plans for this event.

Battlefield

 Maintenance day of July 25th was determined and discussed.

 Mike Christopher stated that the grant application was submitted for $140,000 to improve upon 116 acres. Signage is not eligible for this grant. It is an 85/15 match.

Museum

 Alicia reminded the board that their cost for shirts, if they purchased an additional one, was $16.00 each (Joe, Ken, Terry, John G., Gary, Charlie).

 Hats will be sold at a price of $18.00 each on a Elaine Gladhill/John Gorman motion. Vote was unanimous.

 Darwin will order 24 more hats and 24 more shirts on a Joe Mackley/Lee Royer motion. Vote was unanimous.

 John Miller discussed the purchase and installation of trail cameras to thwart any illegal activities.

 Alicia Miller reminded the board that they need to complete their background checks by the end of the year. The township will not be paying for them, however, you can see Sandy at the Township office and she will assist in completing.

 Steve Patterson discussed that he is currently working on the management agreement.

New Business

 Lee Royer brought up the need for a rack card to distribute to area businesses. Alicia Miller will create one.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 pm on a Joe Mackley/Steve Patterson motion. Vote was unanimous.

Respectfully submitted,

Clint Rock, recording Secretary For Gary L. Muller

June 18, 2015 Meeting Minutes

Present:  Alicia Miller, Elaine Gladhill, Gary Muller, Ken Brown, John Gorman, Joe Mackley, Steve Patterson, Lee Royer, and Darwin Seiler.

Staff:  John Miller and Clint Rock

Alicia Miller called the meeting to order at 6:32 pm

 Meeting Minutes

  • The Minutes of the May meeting were approved on a John Gorman/Lee Royer motion. Vote was unanimous.

 Treasurers Report

  • Alicia Miller presented the Treasurers Report. The report was approved on a Ken Brown/Elaine Gladhill motion. Vote was unanimous.

Events

  • Alicia Miller outlined upcoming events, noting an 8pm Campfire Program and the Mason-Dixon A.T. Outdoor Festival, both on Saturday, June 20. Darwin Seiler said that he would represent the FMPB, Inc. at the Outdoor Festival.
  • She discussed programing for the 152nd Anniversary of the Battle to be held July 3 through July 5 as well as the Blue Ridge Summit Ice Cream Social, filming for PCN, and the Burning of Chambersburg event, all of which being held on July 18.
  • She also noted that John Miller will be conducting a guided tour of the park on July 25th.
  • The Night at the Museum event has been tabled until next year, due to time constraints and the purchase of the small games of chance license.

  Battlefield

  • John Miller outlined the proposed trails for the newly purchased property and displayed a new brochure proposed for the park, once the trails are developed. Washington Township is in the process of applying for grant funding to construct the trails and parking area and to purchase the interpretive panels.
  • The question of a side trail along the Maria Furnace road, for safety, was raised. It was understood that there would be no additional trail and that the road would remain in it’s current, unimproved state, for historic integrity.

Museum

  • Alicia Miller stated that a television is in place at the museum to display the Monterey Pass
  • She added that new shirts were available. It was agreed that shirts would be made available for purchase at the museum at a price of $20.
  • Alicia reminded the board that their cost for shirts, if they purchased an additional one, was $16.00 each (Joe, Ken, Terry, John G., John M., Gary, Charlie).
  • Darwin Seiler discussed the possibility of having hats made for sale and John Miller asked about the possibility of patches. Darwin will check into pricing.
  • Other items for sale in the museum were also discussed, specifically the receipt book, how to handle donations as part of the “cost”, and that sales tax included in the sale price of the item.
  • The supply of books that we have for sale is getting low. Lee has more copies of the gray Monterey books that he will bring up.  The larger Monterey books that FCVB originally produced will need to be edited before reprinting.
  • Lee Royer discussed some site improvement items such as fertilizing the grass, spraying weeds, mulch by trees, dirt leveled out by storage building, cutting off the white cap in the back lot, adding a pipe for the roof drain, removing stump in the back lot, and filling in around a catch basin.
  • Security cameras were briefly discussed. It was decided that trail cameras may be a better option.
  • Backgrounds checks for board members and volunteers were discussed. Background checks are good for 3 years.  If staff have already had done, please forward paperwork to township.  Anyone who has not had a background check completed, will need to stop by the township office to do so before December.
  • A management agreement was also briefly discussed. Steve will confer with Mike on the logistics of this agreement.

    New Business

    • John Miller discussed a preservation march proposed for July 4, 2016 along Gum Springs/Furnace Road and onto the Maria Furnace Road. It was agreed to beginning the planning of the march on a Ken Brown/John Gorman motion. Vote was unanimous.

    The meeting was adjourned at 8:08 pm on a Ken Brown/Joe Mackley motion. Vote was unanimous.

    Respectfully submitted,                                                                          Clint Rock, recording Secretary For Gary L. Muller